Save the Date: Columbia BikeAbout returns on September 15
The Columbia Association’s (CA) annual BikeAbout will be held on Saturday, September 15, starting between 9:30 and 10:30 a.m., with riders beginning at the Downtown Columbia Lakefront. The free, 13-mile, history-filled ride through Columbia is a self-paced ride that utilizes Columbia’s paths and (when necessary) street connections.
The annual event highlights the history, art and culture, and environmental features found in Columbia while introducing new ways to make the connections between villages.
This year’s BikeAbout route will take riders through parts of Oakland Mills, Long Reach and Town Center. Features on the BikeAbout will include:
- Blandair Park: Phase 1 is open — what's next?
- Woodlawn Slave Quarters: CA's sensitive restoration helps interpret Howard County history
- Oakland Ridge Industrial Park: Columbia's first industrial area has become a hidden marketplace
- Thunder Hill: From Sleeping Dog Lane to Soaring Hill, the story behind the street names
- Jackson Pond: From farm pond, to experimental storm water retention, to neighborhood amenity
- Symphony Woods and downtown redevelopment: past, present and future
Pre-registration for the BikeAbout is encouraged. Registration can be done online at bikeabout.eventbrite.com. Forms are also available at Columbia Archives, located at 10227 Wincopin Circle in the American City Building, or at the front desk of the Columbia Association headquarters, located at 10221 Wincopin Circle.