.

Talbott Springs Elementary Evacuated Due to 'Smoke-Like Odor'

Students were evacuated in less than two and a half minutes, according to the principal.

 

Talbott Springs Elementary School was briefly evacuated Wednesday afternoon when a smoke-like odor was detected in parts of the building around 1:30 p.m., school administrators said Wednesday.

In a letter to parents, Principal Nancy Thompson said students were evacuated in less than two and a half minutes and the fire department responded to find a faulty part on a roof top HVAC unit as the cause of the smoke.

Thompson wrote the all clear was given by the fire department less than 10 minutes later and that the part is being fixed on Wednesday.

"Please talk with your children this evening," wrote Thompson. "In your conversation reinforce that the reason we practice evacuation (fire drills) is to make sure that if there is a real problem that we can all be safe."

Sign up for the Columbia Patch newsletter here and follow us on Facebook and Twitter for instant news updates and community conversations.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something