Talbott Springs Elementary School was briefly evacuated Wednesday afternoon when a smoke-like odor was detected in parts of the building around 1:30 p.m., school administrators said Wednesday.
In a letter to parents, Principal Nancy Thompson said students were evacuated in less than two and a half minutes and the fire department responded to find a faulty part on a roof top HVAC unit as the cause of the smoke.
Thompson wrote the all clear was given by the fire department less than 10 minutes later and that the part is being fixed on Wednesday.
"Please talk with your children this evening," wrote Thompson. "In your conversation reinforce that the reason we practice evacuation (fire drills) is to make sure that if there is a real problem that we can all be safe."