.

Rag Fire Extinguished in Columbia

Firefighters were able to put out a small fire at a house before serious damage was done.

 

A small fire in a kitchen trash can at a home near the 7000 block of Sandalfoot Way was extinguished by firefighters after residents called 911 when their carbon monoxide detector began sounding on Tuesday evening.

Fire officials reported the homeowner had thrown stain-soaked rags into the kitchen trash can the previous evening. The oily rags were the likely cause of the fire, according to a spokesperson for the Howard County Department of Fire and Rescue Services.

Fire officials reminded residents to properly dispose of oily rags to prevent the possibility of spontaneous combustion.

"In this case, the resident was lucky that the fire was caught so quickly," wrote Marc Fischer, a spokesperson for the fire department, "but the results could have been catastrophic."

Sign up for the Columbia Patch newsletter here and follow us on Facebook and Twitter for instant news updates and community conversations.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something