A string of daytime burglaries in Howard County in which doors have been kicked in has prompted the following police warnings: Use your dead bolt, hide your valuables in unexpected places and report any suspicious activity.
The burglaries began on Monday, with seven daytime burglaries at residences in Ellicott City, Columbia and Clarksville, according to police, then continued with one in Elkridge on Tuesday, and two more on Wednesday in Ellicott City and Woodbine.
The suspect is believed to first knock on the door of the home to determine if anyone is home, and then kick the door in to gain entry, according to police. Once inside, the suspect reportedly steals jewelry, cash and electronics.
Police are urging residents to call 911 and report if anyone knocks on your door, makes an excuse and leaves.
Also, police said to be wary and immediately report any suspicious activity in your community.
The following details are among those released on the incidents in daily police blotters:
- Police reported a woman was in her home on Tuesday at approximately 10:45 a.m. near the 5900 block of Meadow Rose in Elkridge when she heard the doorbell ring, and about three minutes later, heard her door kicked in. At that point, she ran up her stairs yelling, and looked out her front door to see someone fleeing, but was not able to provide a description, according to police.
- Then, on Wednesday, police reported a teenager was inside his home near the 3500 block of Rosemary Lane in Ellicott City around 12:55 p.m. when the alleged suspect knocked loudly, then kicked in the door, but the suspect fled upon realizing someone was home.
In addition, police are advising residents to use a dead bolt if possible and keep valuables in an unexpected place.
"Burglars want to get in and out quick, so don't make it easy for them to find your valuable or sentimental items," wrote police in a statement. "A home safe is a good idea to secure your most precious belongings."
So far police said they believe residents near the following blocks have been struck:
- 4000 block Chatham Road, Ellicott City
- 9100 block Northfield Road, Ellicott City
- 3900 block Foxhill Drive, Ellicott City
- 5000 block Amesbury Drive, Columbia
- 10200 block Clarksville Pike, Columbia
- 3900 block Cloverly Road, Ellicott City
- 5600 block Trotter Road, Clarksville
- 5900 block Meadow Rose, Elkridge
- 3500 block Rosemary Lane, Ellicott City
- 3500 block Hipsley Mill Road, Woodbine
Police Investigating Connection Between Door Smashing Burglaries