To me, Christmas in Columbia means going to the Symphony of Lights with my whole family. That’s when the holiday season officially begins.
So, this year, like Barbara Kellner of the Columbia Archives, I started thinking about my HocoLocal wish list.
5. For me: I would like a tour of Elkridge from someone who loves it and knows it well. (I’ll pay for gas and snacks.) This is definitely an area where I need to learn more and think more. Any takers?
4. For my village, Oakland Mills: a very special Bridge to connect us to downtown, and span the separation between east and west over Route 29.
3. For the Howard County Public Schools: a healthy variety of truly viable school
board candidates and a simple, functional way to have an election. Oh, and a new superintendent who can find new ways to let meaningful learning win over standardized testing.
2. For Howard County: that we may all get better at appreciating and respecting people who are different. E Pluribus Unum: Out of Many: One. And, yes, the ‘many’ are homeowners, renters and, sadly, the homeless. Let Howard County become known foremost for acceptance and a spirit of community.
1. And lastly, for Columbia, I have saved a special gift. I want to have a “Mayor’s Office of Adventures in Fun.” We need one. Read this article to see what Virginia S. Baker did in Baltimore City. Then take note of who she was engaging, and why. (The ‘why’ part you may have to work out on your own.)
Of course, to have a Mayor’s Office of Adventures and Fun, we would need — oh, I see I’ve used up my five wishes. That wish would be another story altogether.
Have a joyous holiday season with the people you love!
Village Green/Town Squared