1. Fairfax County VA Beaver Attack - An 83-year-old woman was attacked multiple times by a rabid beaver at a lake in Fairfax County, VA, according to the Washington Post. In the article, which is both frightening and odd, the beaver continued attacking the woman, even after one of her co-workers had beaten it multiple times with a canoe paddle:
Korin said the attack seemed to stun the animal, so he turned his attention to helping Peterson get out of the water and dealing with the emergency dispatcher. But as he was lifting Peterson on the bank, the beaver came at them again. He said he had to beat it back with the paddle one more time. Then it seemed dead.
An emergency medical crew arrived shortly after and began treating Peterson. The ordeal appeared to be over. But the relief was short-lived.
“All of a sudden, the beaver flips over and comes back to life,” Korin said.
2. Art Modell Dies - Former Baltimore Ravens owner Art Modell passed away this morning at Johns Hopkins Medical Center, according to the Baltimore Sun. He was 87. Modell will be remembered as the man that brought football back to Baltimore, while taking it away from Cleveland.
3. Ulman's National Profile Growing - Explore Howard has an interesting story about Howard County Executive Ken Ulman's profile growing nationally. Ulman has been able to raise his profile by chairing the National Democratic County Officials organization, according to the article. But will a slightly larger profile nationally help him win a governor's race (which he hasn't officially declared for, but is often talked about as a candidate) here in Maryland?
4. Weather - The rain is coming. There is a 90 percent chance of rain today with showers and thunderstorms expected to end around the early afternoon, high of 80, according to weather.com.
5. Orioles - The Baltimore Orioles are only one game behind the New York Yankees for first place in the AL East. Their record is 76-60. Is it really September, are we sure it's not April?
Have a good Thursday.