This story was updated Thursday at 12:00 p.m. to reflect job opportunities for veterans in Perry Hall and Annapolis.
A recent series of Patch stories reporting the difficult situations faced by veterans without jobs triggered responses from across the region offering reactions and ideas for help.
Do you have a job opening or idea for how veterans can find jobs in Maryland? Tell us in comments.
Here’s a roundup of what we’ve heard from you:
Howard County Department of Fire & Rescue Services: Spokeswoman Jackie Cutler wrote to Patch that the department will be specifically asking military veterans to apply to its next training class.
“Several members of our department are veterans, and it’s something that we really felt the need to focus on, given the challenges they face once returning home from service," she wrote.
Cutler said application dates and additional information on the next training class will be available in the coming days at hcdfrs.org
Programs to Help Veterans Transition to Civilian Life: , a Navy veteran who now works for Booz Allen Hamilton, writes that veterans should investigate getting involved with two organizations: American Corporate Partners, in which vets are paired one-on-one with a mentor in the corporate world, and Team Red, White, and Blue, which seeks to pair vets with members of their community to help the transition back into civilian life.
Upcoming Job Fairs: Patch user posted about an upcoming “Hiring our Heroes” job fair aimed at military job seekers and their spouses. The fair, produced by RecruitMilitary, with the American Legion, will be held May 24 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at M&T Bank Stadium, 1101 Russell St., Baltimore, MD 21230
To get on a mailing list of upcoming job fairs and job opportunities for veterans in Maryland, email firstname.lastname@example.org
All upcoming job fairs in Maryland can be found here.
Other Job Leads
• encourages veterans to check out this job opening for police assistants in Baltimore County.
• D H Moving & Storage, Inc contacted Patch after reading about unemployed veterans. The Elkridge-based company is looking for movers. Contact President Sean J. O’Malley at (410) 525-2300 or (410) 977-0968 or at SeanO@DHMoving.com
• Chesapeake Building Maintenance, based in Perry Hall, also expressed interest in hiring a veteran following this series. More information about their opening can be found here on Craigslist. Applicants may also email company president Matthew Davis at email@example.com.
• , a popular Annapolis eatery, is interested in receiving resumes from veterans. For more information, call (410)-267-0229 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• MilitaryVetJobs.com is a place where veterans can post resumes for employers to view and look for jobs.
• Every county in Maryland has a One-Stop Career Center that has a representative dedicated specifically to helping veterans find jobs.
--Disney has a program to directly hire vets in a special campaign.