This post was updated at 3:00 p.m. to include a statement from Howard County Public Schools.
A 17-year-old Wilde Lake High School student was charged with rape after police said he assaulted a 14-year-old female student inside an unoccupied classroom inside the high school.
DeShawn Rasheed Jones, of Columbia, will be charged as an adult with second-degree rape, according to police.
The girl told police that Jones met the girl in the hallway on Monday and asked her to cut class with him, police said. According to police, she walked around inside the school with Jones and then he pulled her into an unoccupied room.
Inside the room, Jones blocked the door and wouldn't let her leave, according to police. The girl told police Jones held her down and raped her, even though she told him to stop and said she wanted to leave, according to a department release.
Police said they were made aware of the incident after a parent the girl had told called them. After police investigated, Jones was arrested at Wilde Lake High Tuesday, according to police.
Currently Jones was being processed on Tuesday and his bond status has not yet been determined, said police.
Rebecca Amani-Dove, a schools spokesperson, told Patch in an email that students are expected to be in class or lunch during the school day. She said attendance is taken before every class, and if students don't appear, there is a process to deal with him or her.
"Most classrooms are occupied during every period of the school day and the expectation is that all doors are locked when classrooms are unoccupied," wrote Amani-Dove. "Security cameras are in the hallways and school personnel are looking into the particular circumstances surrounding this incident."
Howard County Public Schools issued the following statement about the incident on Tuesday afternoon:
Confidentiality laws prohibit the school system from sharing specific details regarding this incident. Please be assured that we are fully cooperating with the police and will continue to do so until the investigation is resolved.
School administration is informing staff and parents of the incident this afternoon, and ensuring that counselors and pyschologist are available to provide any emotional support that the victim and students may need. As always, the safety and well-being of our students is top priority.
See More on Patch
- Teen Daughter, Boyfriend Held Without Bail in Blogger's Slaying
- Slain Ellicott City Blogger's Daughter, Boyfriend Face Murder Charges
- Motion to Move Wilde Lake High Rape Case to Juvenile Court Denied
- Oakland Mills High Principal Responds to Students' Arrest
- Attorney for Wilde Lake Teen Responds to Rape Allegations
Most Popular articles
- Man Shot and Killed Early Thursday Morning in Columbia
- 10 Ways to Fend Off Stink Bugs
- Top News: Third Homicide in Two Weeks, Cricket Field Opens and No Bail for Dennis Lane's Daughter, Her Boyfriend
- Lululemon, True Religion Among First Retailers Announced for Mall's Expansion
- 10 Things to Know About Wine in the Woods 2013