I’ve become sort of a HocoBlogs groupie. I can’t help it. I learn too much.
These parties happen periodically around here and are a result of HoCoBlogs, a site that aggregates local bloggers and was cofounded by Jessie Newburn (now the director of communications and community engagement at the Columbia Association) and Robin Abello, president of PercWorks.
Here’s past coverage of a HocoBlogs party at The Corner Stable in Kings Contrivance and a live blog of a recent gathering at the Stanford Grill.
And, here is a quick list of the tidbits I gathered Wednesday night.
1) There’s a bike event coming up in town, but you have to pre-register. The classes are Sunday, April 29 from 8:30 a.m. to noon at the Howard County Health Department, 7178 Columbia Gateway Drive, and will teach techniques to safely and effectively ride your bike on the road. The event is sponsored by Bicycling Advocates of Howard County Inc.
2) Some people in the world want to blog, but are hesitant. In the words of Darrell Nevin, with Leasewright Commercial Real Estate, his efforts “wouldn’t be a blog. It would be a flog.” My advice: Just jump in and go for it! Shameless plug: Want to blog on Patch? Click here..
3) There is a new blogger in town and her name is Nicole McFarland. Her blog is hocoloco.com and it’s a photo journey of gorgeous places in Howard County. She has some pictures of Savage Mill as of Thursday.
4) Bill Santos, author of Columbia Compass (and also chairman of the Wilde Lake Village Board) shared one of many story ideas: most high school kids take a bus to celebrate prom in venues outside the county. My response: Really? I need to check this out. Are there any good prom venues in Columbia or Howard County?
5) Sarah Husain, the author of Sarahsaysblog.com, lives in Columbia, and doesn’t have a TV. Which I think is awesome, because my husband and I only watch Internet TV and shunned cable long ago.
Missed the party, but want to pass on a story idea or news tip, or just give a general shoutout to your favorite blogger? Post below or email email@example.com